The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe ever! This fresh and healthy tortilla soup recipe is easy to make and an absolute crowd-pleaser.
The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 MINUTES
Cook Time: 20 MINUTES
Total Time: 35 MINUTES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4+ cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce diced “fire roasted” tomatoes (canned)
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 10 ounce Bag of tortilla chips
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add onions, 1/3 cup cilantro, and garlic. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, whole raw chicken breasts, all the spices, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Push the chicken breasts to the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts with tongs and either shred or chop them. Add the chicken pieces back to the soup.
- Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips. If too much of the broth has evaporated, stir in an additional cup of broth or water.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, and more tortilla chip pieces.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!